Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Shwedagon Pagoda

Today me and my family went to a famous pagoda called Shwedagon Paya. It is very, very old and 300 metres high covered thick with gold. At night it shines very brightly. When we arrived there were two huge lions guarding the entrance [they are actually lions mixed with dragons called chinthe!!!] to the pagoda. Then we got to the entrance we had to take off our shoes. Then when we got inside there were lots of Buddha images guarded by chinthe. Buddhism is a popular religion in Myanmar/Burma. When my dad was little he used to sweep the floor there. We walked around together and because I was born on a Saturday I had to pay my respects to the dragon Buddha by pouring water on top of it three times and then praying three times. We walked around then we decided we should go home.

No comments:

Post a Comment